Professional Advice

CSB Architecture is backed by experienced and qualified professionals who can provide you with up-to-date advice on planning and building regulation legislation.  With the legal requirements applicable to planning applications and building regulations constantly changing you will need to obtain correct information when investing in your property.

Information (Last updated April 2015)

Permitted Development Rights 

Permitted development rights have been probably the most discussed issue during our recent site appraisals.  You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called "permitted development rights".  They derive from a general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament.  Bear in mind that the permitted development rights which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings.

For further information you may refer to the published technical guidance on Permitted Development for Households for free here.

Changes Introduced 30th May 2013:

Part 1 of Schedule 2 (development within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse), Class A is amended as follows. Until 30th May 2016, for a dwellinghouse not on article 1(5) land nor on a site of special scientific interest, the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would have a single storey and;

  • extend beyond the rear wall of the original dwellinghouse by more than 8 metres in the case of a detached dwellinghouse, or 6 metres in the case of any other dwellinghouse, or
  • exceed 4 metres in height;”.

What is required:

Before beginning the development the following information should be provided to the local planning authority— 

(a) a written description of the proposed development including—

  • how far the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse extends beyond the rear wall of the original dwellinghouse;
  • the maximum height of the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse; and
  • the height of the eaves of the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse;

(b) a plan indicating the site and showing the proposed development;
(c) the addresses of any adjoining premises;
(d) the owners contact address; and
(e) an email address if the owner is content to receive communications electronically.”

Permitted Development Rights Withdrawn

You should also note that the local planning authority may have removed some of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one.

Article 4 directions are made when the character of an area of acknowledged importance would be threatened. They are most common in conservation areas. You will probably know if your property is affected by such a direction, but we can check with the local planning authority if you are not sure.

CSB Architecture can contact your local planning authority and discuss your proposal. The local authority will be able to inform us of any reason why the development may not be permitted and if you need to apply for planning permission for all or part of the work.

The Building Regulations

The Government produces guidance on how to meet the Building Regulations.  The information is provided in Approved Documents which, can be downloaded for free here.

Meeting the requirements of the Building Regulations is the responsibility of the person carrying out the building work and, if they are not the same person, the owner of the building. Obtaining the correct advice is vital and as the building regulations apply to most building works it is also important to know when approval is needed.